Tech innovation continues to accelerate, creating significant secular growth opportunities for long-term investors. In Tech Bytes: Edition 2, the Fundamental Equity Technology Team shares their views and insights in response to top-of-mind questions from clients, covering artificial intelligence, e-commerce, software-as-a-service (SaaS), short video and live streaming platforms, and on-demand pay. The team comprises 16 investors with an average of 18 years of experience, and manages over $14bn in dedicated technology portfolios (as of April 30th, 2021).
- In Tech Bytes: Edition 2, we discuss artificial intelligence (AI) as a key driver of technological change, our approach to investing in the AI space, and the critical role semiconductor companies play in enabling AI capabilities.
- We also discuss e-commerce, a tremendous area of growth over the past ten years. We explore how the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) markets could be the next frontier for e-commerce growth and how e-commerce companies are now expanding to offer adjacent services like digital payments and grocery delivery.
- Given the number of software-as-a-service (SaaS) initial public offerings (IPOs) throughout 2020 and into 2021, and the interest they have received from investors, we look at the differences between first-generation (first-gen) and next-generation (next-gen) software companies, and the factors contributing to changing competitive dynamics in this space.
- In recent years, short-video and live streaming platforms have disrupted the online advertising and e-commerce markets around the world, revolutionizing how users engage with content from both a social media and advertising perspective. We discuss how this started in China but is now a key disruptive trend across the globe.
- Finally, as consumers have moved to ‘on-demand’ services in most aspects of life, we look at the implications of on-demand pay, which allows workers to access their wages on a daily basis. On-demand pay has generated interest from both employers and employees alike, and we believe it has the potential to transform the business payments ecosystem.